As I was reading "Writing in Public Places", I started to wish I possessed the ability to "genuinely love and look forward to writing" like the author said she did. It made me question why I never liked journaling. Maybe it is because I feel as if I have no stories to tell like peers my age. No stories to tell or people to talk about because I find myself feeling isolated and out of the loop. If that is the reason, maybe I hate journals because I hate feeling alone and I don't want to share with a journal my social struggles and challenges which have haunted me since childhood. But back to the book.
It is obvious that this author is not fond of keeping a journal one a computer. To say she dislikes journaling on a computer is an understatement and I can see why. When I read books on the Ipad, I long to have a hard copy in my hand. In a way, I feel like annotating on a Kindle takes away from the annotation itself and adds pressure to the reader to make a concise formal annotation instead of a short sentence that is nonsense to everyone except the writer. Maybe its the knowledge that your annotation can be longer because you are not confine to the small space not taken up by words. I don't know.
I can't really understand how a writer gets anything accomplished in a public setting. Whenever I try to get work done in a public place I am constantly distracted. I want to know who is walking past me. Where they are looking. What they are wearing. What they are doing. And more. Because of this I can't really understand the reason she and other authors likes writing in public
No comments:
Post a Comment